Saturday 20 September 2014

At the machine shop

After striping the engine down I took it to Dave Rushton http://www.daverushton.co.uk/.
As the engine was now in bits I managed to get all the components in the boot of my car.

After inspecting the engine, the following work was required:

- Bore size within tolerance so just needed honing (0.030")
- Crankshaft just needs polishing (Mains 0.020", B\Ends 0.010")
- Reface valve
- Recut valve seats
- De-gasket and hot wash all parts
- Install cam bearnings
- Cylinder head faces are good


After a couple of days I got an email from Dave informing me that one of the cylinder heads was cracked.
The crack was only visible once the valve seats had started to be reground.
This meant that this head was basically scrap and I would need to get a new one.
Dave advised that these heads were prone to cracking so it would probably be best to buy a pair of new ones. I agreed so the rest of the work on the heads was left.



The block on the other hand was fine - thank god. The cleaned up really well and I was really pleased with the results. Same with the crankshaft and pistons that looked like they were new.

So after just over a week in the machine shop I drove down to collect the engine from Dave.

I have to say, Dave did a fantastic job and was really helpful. I'll certainly be using him for all future machine work I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment